Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Swing speed...you are questioning my swing speed!

I have been on the road for 11 days and will post about that saga later this week but I wanted to post about one thing that happened on my trip while I had a few minutes. This post needs some background information:

I have referred to that Geary's loving Mr. Crabs in prior posts but have not mentioned one of his job perks. It truly is a rough life he leads. Mr. Crabs has a smart (well she married him so we all question this a little), beautiful wife, wonderful kids (his son might be a soccer star, his daughter will either be a super model or run the world...she hasn't decided yet but she can pull off either career), a great house and a job he loves and makes a good living at. Isn't that enough for one man? NOOOO...

Mr. Crabs gets free golf balls. And not just any brand. He gets the best ball there is (ProV1....and did I mention they are free!)

He basically never has to buy golf balls. Through his job as a financial analyst companies are constantly giving him ProV1's. They used to also give him NXT's but apparently this admitted 18 handicap is too GOOD to play with NXT's. My theory is they are free....take them. He could always give the NXT's to us lesser golfers! Nope he would simply turn around and trade 18 NXT's for 12 ProV1's with other people in the office so now they only give him ProV1's. I think he has purchased 24 ProV1's in the past 2 years. 12 of them because he simply forgot to bring the free ones with him on a golf trip and the other 3 because he was at an elite private club and wanted their logo golf balls. I admittedly have been envious of this and he is nice enough to slip me 3 new ones a year for the annual scramble we play in with Patrick and BigFoot. He gives me his slightly used ones, sometimes these might have a scuff on them or in the case last week he was simply mad at the ball as he had 4 putted. I do appreciate him handing the ball to me instead of throwing it in the water.

So on my recent trip to San Jose I had a couple of meetings with my contacts at Avnet. The first meeting was very productive. We had beer, appetizers, wine, steak and more wine. Doesn't that sound productive? Oh yeah we did talk a little business and I met a new contact who is in charge of a lot of their marketing funds and promotional materials. We will call him Enzy. He was a very nice guy and frankly think he was happy to go to a dinner where the topics ranged from golfing Pebble Beach to the very questionable sexuality of our surgically altered waiter..errrr waitress. This "guy" had obviously attempted some sort of face lift and simply looked like what I expect Heath Ledger as the Joker to look like. (Pour some out for ones homeys). I am sure he was bored with the usual business dinners discussing dealing with HP (they are a tad difficult at times) and how depressing the economy is and how we can all be more succesful...blah blah lets talk about golf, sports and the freak shows around us. Much more fun!

So our 2nd meeting was actually about work. We were discussing possible marketing initiatives and how many funds Enzy could swing our way. Somehow (I truly didn't attempt to have this topic come up and I would admit if I did...as far as you know) the topic of marketing swag came up. Enzy mentioned he had closets full of stuff he can not get rid of including NXTs and wait for it....wait for it....ProV1s. Not just any ProV1 but he actually has the ProV1x. My favorite golf ball on the planet. BALL GO FAR...JACKPOT. So I casually mentioned that I might have a few clients who could use those. Enzy apparently saw right through this as he immediately questioned my swing speed. He said you know that those golf balls don't work for people without a fast enough swing speed. How dare he question that? Luckily for me I didn't have to come to my own defense as TM from Avnet was in the same meeting and he had played in a scramble with me last fall where I flew my drive 23 yards past the current and eventual winner of the long drive contest. I have never understood how my ball being 1 foot in the rough but 2 full clubs closer is ineligible for the long drive contest! ARRGGGHHH I have never claimed to be accurate, just long.

So anyways I am hoping to receive a package at my door in the next few weeks. There were no promises made but man 48 ProV1x's showing up at my door would make for a really good week!

No comments: