Monday, July 14, 2008

Sometimes there is no B Group

I did the SMCC ride on Saturday with Crit and about 30 other people many of them being 1/2/3 riders where Crit is a 4/5 and I am trying to create a new classification called 5/FAT. This is usually a fast ride and Saturday was no exception and if you fall off the back there is no B Group to grab onto. The major issue with being dropped on this ride is the last 10 miles are mainly along the coast and very windy so if you are riding on your own you bear the full brunt of the wind. If you are close to being dropped you must lay down everything you have because you can sit in the group and relax.

The first couple of miles are a neutral zone and we made our way to the 10 Million Dollar bridge which is where the fun starts. Thankfully no one screamed up the hill to the bridge and I actually made my way from about 20th to 5th going up the hill. I sat in 5th going over the bridge and onto Broadway and then we took the left up the hill towards Highland Ave. This isn't a big hill but always seems to give me lots of problems and Saturday was no exception as I actually dropped all the way to the back of the pack. I chased back on and then managed to fight my way to the middle of the pack which was a good thing as about .5 miles into Highland Ave we were going 33 MPH.

I felt strong all the way out to Black Point Inn and wasn't afraid to lead for a little even going to the front about .5 mile before everyone was gearing up for the sprint. Crit and I had chatted about me leading out from about 500 meters but I chose to slow it down and ride it out as I couldn't find Crit and by the time I did he was two lines over so I couldn't offer any help. Crit did take 2nd as one of the Class 3 guys took him at the line. Once I am in a little better shape that will not happen as I block a lot of wind for Crit and he can get a good jump around me even at 30+ mph.

On the way back I focused on staying in the middle of pack and only ended up at the back twice. Once I had to lay down some watts to get by some people so I could stop yo-yoing, the other time was on 77 just before the right onto Shore Road and the first 1 mile of Shore Road is downhill so I shut it down a little as I was pretty exhausted from the rollers and last climb before 77. I easily chased back on downhill and moved into the top 10 of the group, at this time we started a nice little climb and as a rider was trying to go by me on the left near the yellow line I moved over about 6 inches to give him room and a rider 2 back and 2 to my right yelled at me to hold my line, the guy immediately to my right had no issues with what I did and Jacko (one of the SMCC guys) told me later that I was in the right and the other guy was an idiot.

I handled Shore Road pretty easily which usually gives me fits as the rollers are a tad steep for my taste and I was headed for a top 20 finish when I nailed the biggest pot hole I have ever hit. I have no idea how my Rolf didn't blow. I hit it so hard my handlebars actually moved down a little bit, strangely enough Crit and I decided that was for the better as they appeared to by too high before. I still finished with the pack but shut it down after the hit to make sure my bike and my head were still in one piece.

We averaged 23.1 from the Shop to the Cookie Jar so the fast part of the ride was closer to 25. The total ride with the neutral zone back to the shop was 35 miles. I am hoping to get out and do at least one ride this week, maybe even two and then hit Saturday morning again.

No comments: