Sunday, May 11, 2008

Beer Reviews--Chicago trip

I have decided to start a new section to my blog. In my travels I get to try quite a few micro-breweries so I am going to start giving my non-flowery straight forward reviews. I will be using a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best.

Ram Brewery in Chicago


I went here twice and overall felt it was good beer at good prices with frosty cold mugs. The food was also excellent and great TV's for watching sports.

Beers tasted:

Big Red IPA--I wouldn't get this beer again. Not that it was terrible but I think it was trying to be too many things. Is it a Red? Is it an IPA? It failed as either and as a combination.

Overall: 4

71 Pale Ale--nice pale ale especially with dinner (steak salad). It wasn't too hoppy so it didn't over power the food but was hoppy enough to drink on its own. Nice little spicy finish as well. This would be good with a mild cigar as well.

Overall 7

Total Disorder Porter--This was a solid porter and a nice sipping beer. Good flavor and weight. Reminded me a little of Gritty's brown but it was heavier.

Overall 6

Buttface Amber Ale--I am pretty sure I ordered this just say I could say Buttface to the waitress and not get slapped. I was also full from dinner so a lighter beer was in order. Not bad for an Amber which usually are not my favorite. I would order it again though if I was full or planned on having 4 or 5 beers after dinner.

Overall 6

Conference Wine and Cheese Hour

Goose Island Honker's Ale--They describe this as a drinkable bitter ale. I can tell you it tasted more like a Coors Light that was transformed to a bitter. Light, not much flavor and not well balanced but there was the unpleasant after taste.

Overall 3

No comments: