Sunday, May 4, 2008

Top 10 Excuses for not Cycling in Miami

I live in a climate where I could ride year round, yet today was my first ride in Miami since July. I do have numerous excuses, don't I always.

Here are the top 10

  1. Too hot
  2. Too humid (it cools down at night but the humidity goes way up)
  3. Worried about getting run over--this is legit as numerous people get run over cycling in Miami including my doctor who got rear ended and knocked off his bike on his first ride in Miami
  4. Riding alone is no fun
  5. Don't want to drive 12 miles to start my ride
  6. I own a 61" HD TV and a DVR and a Playstation 3
  7. My wife is 10 years younger than me and hot
  8. I am in shape, assuming round is still a shape
  9. My bike has no motor

And of course

10. BEER BEER BEER--I am drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as I write this.


Today I fought through those excuses and drove the 12 miles south to Key Biscayne and paid the toll to park on the causeway. I would feel very guilty complaining it was hot as Critracer had just finished a Time Trial in 45 degree rainy weather and was fighting hypothermia when I spoke with him just before my ride. Of course he is almost as slim as Slim so some of that is lack of insulation.

I got in a solid 22 miles and even got in some bridge work (in Miami those are the only hills). Went out way too fast but still averaged about 18 for the ride.

84 degrees, sunny, a nice breeze and plenty of sights to behold.

BF and Slim I hope you are ready for my reintroduction to New England, we are riding 30 miles on Sunday and need to average 18. See you both in a week.

Trying to fight off the body built by sales!

No comments: