Sunday, March 7, 2010

Back on the Bike

Note to self don't take 4 months off from all types of physical activities and then go do the hardest local ride! I know I know it is crazy to think that is a bad idea.

I had only exercised 6 times since October 1st. That is almost hard to accomplish.

With Battenkill in 4 weeks I thought--"maybe I will try to ride at least a little before the race". In case you don't know Battenkill is 62 miles of sheer terror including numerous brutal climbs on dirt roads. Oh joy

I jumped into the PVC Saturday morning ride and actually did better than I thought I would. I held on over the bridge and up Anthoine but as soon as they hit 33 on the Highland I was out of there. So I think I held on for 3 miles!!! Arrfff

My riding day didn't get any better from there. A group of 5 of us left from PVC for 30 more easy miles but by the time I had my 3rd flat I called it a day. I haven't checked to see if it is my rim or tires but I am replacing the tires and getting new rim strips just to be safe. The tires have 2500 miles on them and I am pretty sure the Rolf's have the original rim tape.

I coasted downhill on RT1 from Yarmouth until my tire was completely flat and then walked about 2 miles in cycling shoes while my wife came to get me. Thank you baby!! Adding insult to injury as I was sitting on the grass waiting for my wife to pick me up the wind blew my bike over and it fell on my head. And no my helmet was not still on. On the plus side it was sunny.

Today we rolled out from Crit Racers house at 9:30 with Bike Shedd and his girlfriend. What was supposed to be a nice easy 40 miler felt really hard and then they had the brilliant idea to climb Mitchell Wall. Assholes

Bike Shedd lost 10 pounds over the winter and is riding really well which is great until you have try and keep up with him.

But I needed the work so that was good and riding in 50 degree weather in early March is glorious.

I finally sold the Klein. I listed it on eBay for $289 and it sold in 30 minutes. I only paid $425 for it is so even though I might have left a little money on the table it is sold and the wife is happy!

Cycling season is back. Shooting for at least 3000 miles this calendar year and if I can somehow get back down to 190 I feel confident I can compete in all but the hilliest races. Wish me luck!