Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cran the Kanc...or not

Well why not right, I mean it was a balmy 34 degrees with some bitter winds but lets go ride the eastern side of the Kanc.

The approach isn't really that bad, about 17 miles of 2 to 3 percent grade. Dixon, Crit racer and I pushed fairly hard on the way in but certainly weren't going all out.

But wow when you hit mile 17.5 and all of the sudden you have 2.5 to 3 miles of at least 7% it really hits you. Especially when you try to keep up with Dixon when he first takes off. BAD IDEA

The lactic acid shooting into my legs was torture. It was the closest I have come to getting off the bike in a long time. I decided to not worry about Dixon, not that I could do anything about him rapidly pulling away from me and just try settle in. Of course I had no idea how long I needed to settle in for as Dixon thought it was 26 miles from the ranger station to the top but thankfully it was only 21.95.

The best part for me was right when I was about to give up I turned to say something to Crit but he wasn't there!!! I rode Crit off my wheel on a mountain. It doesn't matter that he had been partying until 2 in the morning and had to throw up twice I still beat him to the top of the Kanc by at least 2 minutes. Trust me I am sure I will pay for writing this but it is still worth it!

2675 feet of climbing in 21.5 miles really REALLY hurts. Average speed for the first 21.95 miles was 13.7 mph. Not great but not bad.

Overall ride was 17 mph, 44.43 miles with the Garmin claiming I burned 3431. Garmin admits their calorie calculations are high I wish I could find out by how much. No heart rate monitor for this ride, I didn't want to know.

1 comment:

mjolnir2k said...

My horribly scarred psyche will be paying you a visit on a Mountain in the near future.

and to be clear, I was partying until 3am!!, not a measly 2am...