Monday, March 29, 2010

New poker game

I played at Purpoodock Country Club tonight. The format was an early turbo with a $20 buy in. I made it to the final table while trying to determine the quality of players and styles. I made some good early moves but got caught with my hand in the pot just before the merge and the guy apparently didn't see the flush I was representing...oh well.

With 7 players left I was down to about 4 times the BB and had pocket K's. Thankfully 2 players assumed I was simply all in because it was late so I tripled up but in the long run it didn't help. I got my money in twice with the best hand and lost both times, once at my own hand as I rolled the guy a 4 to beat me.

In the re-buy tournament I was playing well but got too loosey-goosey based on the re-buys and a couple of mistaken bets based on the weird chips with no numbers. I am not a loosey-goosey player and it was hard for me to reign the style back in. I still had fun and overall am pretty sure I can do well at this game. I watched for about 25 minutes after I was knocked out and it seems pretty obvious that a lot of the players lock it down late and the majority of them don't bet without a made hand or a good drawing hand. Not a lot of moves....

However I did notice that a few of them love to raise out of position to buy hands and I suspect I can use that to my advantage in the future.

Overall a good group of guys and I look forward to playing my tight early loose late strategy there in the future to see how I fare,

BACK to the cycling Thursday-Sunday. Looking to get in a short ride on Thursday and then 45 on Friday, 35 before my league of dorks draft on Saturday and then the first Scarborough Crit on Sunday.

It is going to be HOT HOT HOT

3 comments:

slimbiker said...

Based on your recent posts, you may want to update your byline. Win some for me next time.

Chris J said...

done

slimbiker said...

Much better!