Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New wheels or a cross bike?

So with the Klein sold and my job going well I need to prioritize my bike spending. You know with what ever is left over after the bedroom furniture, new TV, living room furniture and lawn mower.

The wife and I are apparently convinced we can tag along with the BF's in pulling the economy along. Anyways I digress.

So my boss (the work one not the wife one) has Zipp 404 tubulars with ceramic bearings and he is willing to sell them to me for about 1/3rd of retail. A very sweet deal seeing as that includes ceramic bearings which are $400 by themselves. Plus they have less than 1000 miles on them and are the dimpled tubulars which is what I want.

On the other hand I could get a cross bike and try my hand at cyclocross this fall. It looks like a blast and my previous athletic endeavors should give me a leg up over of some of the rather uncoordinated people I cycle with.

Of course I could also take a less expensive route and go to Fitwerx for a proper fitting which would most likely require a new stem and seat post but still cost about 1/2 of the other items as long as I don't also need different length cranks.

So much to think about!!

Of course my boss has also indicated I would not get a bonus if I didn't agree to buy his wheels...

I am open for suggestions. And trust me I will make sure to make the beautiful wife happy first as we both agree bedroom furniture and lawnmowers come first!!

3 comments:

slimbiker said...

I'd sue your boss for 'Cycual' harassment and then go buy a new bike and a Corvette with your settlement. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about the extra money for a decent TV. One you can hang on the wall.

AND standing up after consuming 15 beers is not considered "previous athletic endeavors".

Slim

slimbiker said...

Seriously though, I think you should buy a new bike and include one of those pull-along carriages for me to ride in. That is my only hope of keeping up with you after my IN-activity of a complete year.

Slim

Chris J said...

What what? I have seen many people fall over after 15 beers and I was able to run across the bridge with large holes in it after 15 shots of tequila and 15 beers...that takes skills man!